Wednesday, June 21, 2017

sum-sum summertime!

though it's already been summer here in maryland for a bit, now it's official with temps in the high 80s every day...spent tuesday doing more of my secret sewing, but last night during quilt-cam got the binding cut and applied on this little wallhanging i'll be sending off to my mum for her door. 


if you recall, the patchwork block looked wonky because of the pattern in one of the fabrics, so i pulled it out and replaced it with this, which is better.  *** today's task is to finish the borders on the 9-patch flimsy, maybe do some baking, maybe more laundry. organizing bug into overdrive so cleaned out the laptop of any extraneous files, went thru recipe book and did likewise, next up is my box of documents.  plus there's dusting (still) and more secret sewing...who knew not working was so busy?  hoping to clear out one more UFO drawer before June is gone....and it's another gorgeous day to sew!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

"she folded her napkin"

i love that line from the movie "the miracle worker" when annie sullivan's efforts resulted in improved table manners and helen's mother exclaims, "she folded her napkin!"  it's one of my favorite movies and truly defines the word 'handicap'...if anyone had reason for a life-long pity party, helen keller did, but her challenges never held her back.  anyway i digress.....monday was definitely housework day....tackled vacuuming, laundry, floors, plus sundry other cleaning tasks...and the sewing area was not exempt....she finally cleaned off the sewing table (to paraphrase)...


doesn't it look user friendly now?  i also removed the risers off the ironing table for ease of use.  since my new chair has no wheels, it works better and easier to have the table lower, since i can't wheel over to iron...i also moved the old viking to the edge of its table and created a sewing L, which also gives me more mat space.  will try it out, but think it'll be more conducive to sewing productivity...and first task is to tackle that 2nd border of triangles....i think i have enough fabric left for the outer border fix, at least on one side....it'll never be a silk purse quilt, but hopefully can elevate it from sow's ear status....then have to move on to more secret sewing and also a new little project from some orange mod waste triangles.   ***  today is dusting day and perhaps a bit more laundry too...something about a clean space that energizes me....and did i mention?  it's a beautiful summer morning!

Monday, June 19, 2017

lessons learned

spent sunday finishing borders on this flimsy.  after completed, took a photo and was not too happy....even though i followed instructions for cutting the triangles, the bias edges ended up top and bottom of the inner border and created havoc.

as you can see, the side borders aren't too wonky, but top and bottom horrific!  nothing else to do but recut making sure bias edges not at top or bottom where the border attached to squares and 2nd border.  decided to leave the sides since although not great, not nearly as bad.  so, after recutting triangles, resewing and reattaching top border, found another problem...


the top redone is better but still not great.  realized some of the issue had to be the way the borders were cut.  now, i usually always cut across the width of fabric....never been an issue until today.  went and checked the leftover yardage and it appears that while the lengthwise grain is firm, the width is a bit stretchy.  i never checked before cutting the borders....i never really have before this.  had no problem with the blocks construction.  i could remove the outer borders and replace with another fabric BUT that means disturbing the side border triangles that DO have bias edges.  either way am afraid it'll possibly be worse off than it is now.  it was going to be donated, but perhaps i'll just tie it and tuck it away for a beach blanket....no way can i simply toss all that effort and fabric.  there is a use for it somehow....but pretty sure it's the last time i cut borders across the width and not down the length....thankfully no real harm done....i've done pieced borders before, even sawtooth ones, without this much disaster....so must be the outer borders causing most of the trouble...as i have often told my daughter, live and learn!