Friday, February 3, 2017

it only took 37 years...

for me to get the hang of the log cabin block....i've made them in the past, even did a swap, but alas they were done WRONG!   i chalk it up to my lefthandedness as was turning the blocks and adding new logs the opposite of the correct way....well, that's my own justification anyway.  these were started in a workshop at the now defunct crafters' quarters in amesbury, massachusetts, a few years ago and thankfully, the instructor gave me a lefthander's guide to keep....now out of the UFO vault and getting finished for a flimsy for disaster relief thru my church. 


working from my 1.5" scrap bin, which shows NO signs at all of being depleted.  this is the double shoebox size, too.  only 39 blocks to go to get 80 made for the ladies to assemble and finish. there are a few more projects like this needing to be unearthed, finished and sent along for similar result, which is helping to reduce MY inventory while providing benefit for somebody else, a win/win all around.  there'll be plenty of 1.5" strips left (alas!) but a new mag in the mail today showed a terrific scrappy that'll be just right for using up more.  ***  winter, or what marylanders call winter, continues without any snow still!!!  this new england transplant is simply stunned and, even more surprising, a forsythia bush in bloom was seen just the other day....amazing indeed for february....loving this new winter normal....not ONCE have i had to clean snow off the car....be still my heart!

7 comments:

  1. Log cabins are my favorite block! I can see why you would have problems with the block for swaps being left handed. However, if you are making all the blocks for a quilt does it really matter? this has been an easy winter in NY also and I won't complain about it but hopefully we have rain in the spring otherwise we will be on water restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally got this block figured out. There are so many great ways to use it!
    If you do find yourself missing snow just a little bit, I can send you some. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your log cabin blocks are wonderful! I've had to shovel snow a few times the other day and cleaned my car off a few times also. I'm really tired of cold & snowy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the log cabins! Good for you for passing them along to someone in need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! My! Sizzling Bacon!! You and I, my dear. I never thought of that but now that you mentioned it, yes my logs are spinning the "wrong" way too. Ha!ha!ha! Wait! If all the blocks are spinning in the same direction, who's to say it is wrong? Oh! There's still hope for my log cabin blocks. Yours look so beautiful in all the bright, colourful fabric. Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete