Friday, January 6, 2017

bittersweet bargain

this week went to 2 guild meetings and at each one, the brevity of life was starkly evident.  at the first meeting, a woman brought in 2 suitcases of quilting stuff (books and fabric) from a deceased elderly lady with the promise of more suitcases to come.   at the 2nd guild meeting, large totes of bagged fabric were sent in by a quilter's husband, she who was now permanently disabled at a too-young age and will no longer quilt.  of course, like moths to a flame, the loot was examined and chosen for charity projects or personal stash.  that was the intent of the donations and i was a willing participant.  confess to feeling somewhat ghoulish, despite my own small selection, at the thought of benefiting from someone's misfortune.  not sure if others were thinking the same, but knew the day would come for me when my left behind quilting stuff would be similarly parceled out.  that thought (and the budget) kept me from accumulating more, except for one small bag of scrap pieces for far less than the price of a big mac.


lots of pretty pieces with hardly a reproduction piece in the bunch, but some nice mods and neutrals....with the scrappy DWR coming up, they'll get used and by using, will become a monument to one whose life was irreparably interrupted forever.  i hope she would have been approved.....

5 comments:

  1. I think both ladies would be happy to know that these goodies have gone to a very good home! I know I will be smiling down on people someday who will be ding the same thing with my "stash"! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I was the beneficiary of boxes of fabric from a friend who died too soon. My stash probably almost doubled due to her kindness and that of her husband. I think of her lovingly as I pull from those fabrics now to create things. Like Wendy, I will be happy that I can do the same for others when my time comes.
    Enjoy that little infusion into your stash--I'm sure the quilter who cannot use it now would want it to be bringing joy to others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moths to a flame, indeed! I remember one guild meeting when the guest presenter brought patterns and fabric to sell. The speaker's setup was at the back of the meeting room, opposite the entry, and she was there ahead of time to set up. That same evening we got a sizeable gift, brought by the deceased woman's daughter. I was guild president and all I'd known was that she'd be bringing "some" fabric. The guild members swarmed all over the donation -- we put out a box for a free-will offering. The program presenter was not very happy! I learned to balance the visitors/distractions (that includes other guilds' raffle quilts). But now I am past president so I don't have to make the judgment calls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy every minute you have...... Love is precious....... I do hope quilters make great use of my stash when I am gone and be excited by it......

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a quilter who is closer to 80 than to 70, I like to think that whatever is left of my stash will go to someone who will use it. That said, I'm doing my best to finish it off myself.

    ReplyDelete