Wednesday, September 28, 2016

not quilt related....

pet peeve of mine....as one who has been overweight for some time, it has been my extremely bad fortune to have met several people who dispense weight loss, nutrition, exercise advice ad nauseum aka fat police.   there have also been several others who think they know what is best and/or "God's will" for me and my life, but that's for another day.   these fat police include medical people, of course; not the same ones who used to smoke in hospitals back in the day.  but it is their job and, being purveyors of judgments of every type, they often wrongly assume becoming thin solves every problem.  they, like the weathermen, spout these pronouncements based (often) on statistics.  did you know, for instance, that woody allen's father died a chain smoker at age 99?   obviously genetics trumped behavior....i could rave on and on but brevity dictates otherwise.  my hope for today is that all those do-gooder nutrition mavens have a really rotten day, and that the next time they decide to spout their self-righteous and usually unwanted advice to one who probably already knows they are fat, someone hauls off and whacks them in the knees with a baseball bat, hopefully producing a cure. 

7 comments:

  1. Well written, could be true of anyone that dispenses unsolicited advice.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I value you as a friend and we don't need to look like a Barbie Doll at our age, well any age, for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i never did resemble her in any way...and no worse for wear either...

      Delete
    2. AMEN!! I totally agree with you, Grace.

      Delete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! My former best friend used to critique my order at lunch and tell me that "you could have made a better choice" or when the waiter asked if we wanted dessert, she said NO before I could even answer. Well, you noticed I said FORMER friend. I wish for her a future of Fat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace - I am also significantly overweight. However, I accept that being overweight has consequences for my health. In this context, I believe that my medical advisers have a duty of care to discuss this with me so that if I choose not to change my lifestyle, I am, at least, making an informed decision. As for people other than my health advisers - phooey on them. I've made it very clear in the past that comments on my weight are not welcome, so these days I'm not on the receiving end of any.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete