Sunday, July 3, 2016

from every mountainside....

let freedom ring!   proud to say i am a descendant of revolutionary patriots, even though their decision to fight was defense of their livelihood and not any great desire to be free from England; until British ships came into port to commandeer their lumber, they were loyalists!!!!


in college, i took a course called "literature and culture of the early republic," studying printed materials like newspapers, pamphlets and books.  an assignment was to visit the library's special collections and take a look at some examples.  my choice was a book by john adams....what an awesome feeling it was to hold such a tome in my hands (with gloves) and actually read the words of such a great man.  have ridden by the adams "farm" (now in the middle of a bustling city) often but never actually took the tour...and of course, he and abigail are buried in a quincy church...lots of history in that area.  can only say i am grieved by so much of politics today...what would our founding fathers say?  would they think it had been worth the cost?  they were not perfect men, but courageous visionaries trying to extricate this new land--and keep it--from tyranny...   ***  pondering these thoughts by sewing on the current projects, the 365 and DWR....   finally took a break from blocks to attach the inner dark border of little squares and am pleased with the result.   only 8 blocks from being current too!   once up to date, going to sew on the next border, the lights made of 6" finished blocks.   will be anxious to tally the yardage used when top is done....here is a photo...


so glad decided to do this sew along....and seeing it coming together fuels my quilty muse....been keeping a pile of scraps on the ironing station to use for these blocks and it is actually diminishing....good news indeed!

6 comments:

  1. This election cycle and our recent current events seem to leave us all wondering about our great nation's future. But there is no wonder that you are almost current with your 365, good for you. Of course, the top looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Star block is beautiful! You'll be caught up in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Independence Day, Grace!
    Your quilt, so far, is looking great--almost makes me wish I had been sewing along. But I would never have kept up. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. duh...i haven't kept up either janet, altho not too far behind right now...LOL...but i've got the patterns fyi...thanks for commenting! although i went scrappy, can hardly tell..

      Delete
  4. I love your medallion. It's scrappy but not crazy scrappy. Very well balanced if you ask me. I don't mind counting the pieces used for each block but I wont count the yardage. I'll leave that to you lol. I am about 7 weeks behind. Yikes! Thank you so much for leaving a message on my blog and linking me back to yours. I'm glad I saw this beauty. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks..i am kinda surprised as how good it does look being scrappy and all...thanks for stopping by

      Delete