Wednesday, February 24, 2016

novice attempt

machine quilting can be intricate and beautifully executed, but not by me.  just not that interested in perfecting this skill.  i've done it a few times, but only for practical purposes and not for the real desire.  see what i mean?



the original was quilted at half inch intervals (i think) but i chose 1-inch intervals to get it done quicker.   i basted it to death and it came out okay, meaning not thrilled with the result and definitely doesn't inspire me to do more.   perhaps the batting was a tad too thick for this size, not sure.  but anyway, it's done and can put it aside for the right recipient to come along at some point.  i love the colors and pretty sure a nonquilter would think it's a masterpiece, but you and i know different.  not apologizing for this mediocre effort, just that my heart belongs to hand quilting.  it's great that quilting has a place for those of every persuasion!

5 comments:

  1. Looks good to me, Grace. Sometimes straight lines are all a quilt needs.
    I think I feel about hand applique the way you feel about machine quilting--it can be beautifully done, but not by me. It is a skill I am not interested in pursuing. We do what works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I love most about quilting is that there are so many methods, techniques and styles that we can choose from, finding one that works for us. I am on the same side of the fence as Janet when it comes to appliqué, and I agree with you on machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, your quilt is done and it looks fine from here. Time to move on to the parts you like best. Too many fun things to do, to spend time fiddling with things we don't like. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are our own worst critics...your quilting looks lovely and will be well loved by the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I think I might try to make one too :)

    ReplyDelete