Sunday, November 22, 2015

where were you?


for those of a "certain" age, today's date will forever be defined as an american tragedy.  i was in 9th grade; we lived in norwich, connecticut; nothing on television for 4 days except dirge music, haunting black and white news reports and still photos.  the day it happened, my friend linda and i were walking home from school thru downtown, looking at store windows and thinking of christmas. a TV was on in an appliance store, and we just stood outside watching, transfixed, realizing the unbelievable, an ordinary day forever changed, much like 9/11, wondering how such a thing could happen.  how innocent we were in light of daily events now.  life has changed in so many ways, and in so many not for the better.  or was it just the naivete of youth?   some of both no doubt.....where were YOU that day?

6 comments:

  1. I was in biology class when the announcement over the loud speaker came about President Kennedy being shot.. That was my 16th BD too.
    He was a great president for the short time he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Jr High English class. I'll never forget that day - or 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was, also in 9th grade. Our principal called an assembly for the whole school! Every student was glad at their 'good luck' that they were able to miss a class. Looking back, it was not a 'lucky day'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in elementary school--the day before my 6th birthday. We knew something was up when they wheeled a TV set into the room, and it wasn't the usual time for the boring educational program that we sometimes watched. We viewed some of the early news coverage. Pretty heavy stuff for us little kids--I'll certainly never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace--I was on my lunch hour not far from you in New London, CT. in a local lunch spot. When I returned to work my co-workers had no idea what had happened. I don't think any of us will ever forget that day and the days that followed. It was truly an unbelievable end to innocence. What a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember hearing about the shooting, I just remember watching the funeral on my aunt's TV (we didn't have color at our house) and my mother sobbing all day.

    ReplyDelete