Sunday, September 20, 2015

big vs little

stopped in at a well-known craft/fabric establishment to pick up a new cutting mat with a coupon, and immediately inside the front door was confronted with many, many bolts of definite quilt-shop quality cottons priced at $12.99, which is a quilt shop price also.  this is not a new development, rather an expansion of an obvious effort to compete with smaller quilt shops for the fabric dollar.  lacking here was the personal service and relationship a quilter forms with the quilt shop, but also here is the advantage of coupons to lessen the sticker shock.  will be interesting to see how this goes forward and whether or not small shops will be impacted.  not much for me personally, but maybe for some.  here in maine we have the added factor of marden's, which can be a good source for some quilt-shop quality fabric at astounding prices.......as for sunday sewing, started a small project which i blatently copied from pal janet, whose effort is gorgeous and mini in size...my squares are about 1.5" finished, small enough for me and a complete 180 from the quilt in the previous post.  have also included a photo of the centers for my scrappy repro daisy chain project, just for a glimpse of what is to eventually be...



and with sunday, fall has arrived--according to the thermometer anyway.  temps tonight in the high 40s, another harbinger....too bad they wouldn't just stop here as this is smiply perfect weather.   and i wouldn't be surprised if clam chowder is on the menu some time this week.....delish!

6 comments:

  1. Haven't seen the fabrics in the local craft establishment lately, so I wasn't aware they were now in direct competition with independent quilt shops. I hope it doesn't squeeze out any of my local quilt shops.
    I love your "copy", Grace, and am honored that you like it enough to make your own version. I especially like that you consider me your "pal". Thanks, I appreciate that. : )
    The Daisy Chain is such a pretty block. Look forward to seeing more of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $12.99 a yard - wowza! When did that happen? I haven't bought much fabric for years: been very very focussed on busting stash. I was aware that US prices had crept over the $10 per yard, but I hadn't realised they'd gone all the way of $12.99.

    Love both of the projects in your pics. Fabulous.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace - have you visited Abyquilt blog lately? You might like to see some pics of Jen Kingwell in Norway. It's here: http://abyquilt.blogspot.com

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! i just love how she uses polka dots!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love the little HST's little quilt! Nice work! I loved Janet's, too.

    ReplyDelete