Monday, February 16, 2015

a snowy sewing sunday

these are my lady of the lake swap blocks all sewn into a flimsy.  yes, a few of them were sewn a bit different but they will be left as is....when i was figuring size on this allowed for 12" blocks, but in fact these are 8" finished so it's a bit smaller than anticipated but no biggie, will add a border and call it done.  will make a very nice throw size.  aren't these batiks gorgeous?  *** and after going back and looking at my red/cheddar, decided i did not like the light strips so as much as i hate to, will cut more dark strips and replace them.  i think the very light ones detract from the overall effect of the quilt.  it's a later some time project.  and next?  have a scrappy solid project in the works so think that'll be next in hopes of busting more solids.  that should keep me busy until winter's almost over....that and the hawaiian of course.  ***  it's a bright and sunny albeit bitter cold day here.  the lengthening days are a sure sign spring is coming, only about a month away.  ahhhh it'll be wonderful!

8 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes! you're going like a house a-fire there girl! The Lady of the Lakes look beautiful but I think that you should bother to change that one row that's bass-ackwards. But don't even take the whole row apart, just sneak in with the ripper. And what pray tell, can be wrong with the Red & Cheddar, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vic on the red and cheddar, it is perfect. Of course if I didn't like the lights I would paint over them before I ripped anything out - just lazy! I don't agree with Vic on the Lady of the Lakes. I like the quirky block, but then I am quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was working on my LOTL blocks from the swap today too! I decided to have a total of 56 blocks, so I'm making a few more. Yours look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. be sure and show yours....would love to see it!

      Delete
    2. I think you're right about the cheddar, but are you sure you want to go back to substitute little strips? If this is for you and not for gifting, do you have fabric to make another? Might not take as long as redoing your current top. I have a lot of Kaffe Fassett books and one thing I've learned from studying them is that when the colors are very intense and vibrate, the "busyness" of the rest of it needs to be turned down. He uses very simple block patterns and a controlled color palette to great effect. With those strong colors, I don't think the random scrappy strips are helpful at all.

      Delete
    3. i have enough fabric to replace the very light lights....it'll be a while tho and then i may decide to leave it...i understand what you mean about the "busyness" but i feel the lights are detracting from the mood of the entire top....that they do compete with the red/cheddar hourglass blocks...

      Delete
  4. I think this is a beauty, even if a rogue block or two. : )
    Really--you are going to deconstruct the red/cheddar? Wow. Maybe after you let it sit awhile it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about that? I have a bunch of blocks just like yours!

    ReplyDelete