Saturday, December 27, 2014

found!

more like unearthed.....this photo of my very first quilt, the ever-popular sampler.  though it has gone to that big quilt exhibit in the sky, it was used to shreds...literally.  it was proudly displayed on my bed during marriage, motherhood, estrangement and divorce and a wide variety of various temporary housing locations.  no matter how discouraging my situation was, the quilt came to signify home, however precarious or unpleasant.  it holds a special place in my quilting life.  since then many other quilts have been made by me and gone on to hopefully equally satisfying homes.   though now gone, this quilt was the beginning of what has been now 36 years of boundless needlework pleasure.  it would be my very good fortune to have 36 more....

4 comments:

  1. And a very nice quilt it was! Thanks for sharing the picture here, too. That scrap basket from yesterday still looks intriguing for free play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember samplers like yours....and colorways like yours, too. It's actually satisfying that a quilt gets used up. What a good beginning it was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great that you found the photo. We have been working on documenting all of my Mom's quilts, and we can't find photos of some of her early ones that are long since gone.
    You did a nice job on your "first". I think mine was a simple "one-patch".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful first quilt! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete