Tuesday, September 23, 2014

it's the 4th quarter...


it was giddy excitement last night when i realized i am down to the last quarter on appliquing this design to the background.  this is not the greatest photo of this top, but no matter....after spending august and september TV time, the end is now clearly in view.  at the top of the photo on the extreme right and left are 2 hand-like fronds...they are done!  the center portion is also complete, so all that is left is in the middle of the photo.  this will still take a while, probably into december (due to vaca), but i am hoping that the week between christmas and the new year, it will get basted and ready to quilt by january 1st.  so much work?  yes!  so much time?  definitely!  but the finished project?  priceless!  and why so wrinkled you ask?  well, when working on inside portions, it is necessary to scrunch it up in order to utilize the right hand thumb with the needleturn (i sew left handed)....but it will get ironed before the basting.   the batting is already on hand and will pick up the backing before the applique is complete.  oooohh can hardly wait!  *** in the meantime, another UFO is in process with the old viking; plenty of scrap AND stash busting going on for a finish some time october.   **** retreat readiness continues!

4 comments:

  1. Your title made me think you were referencing some sporting event. : )
    So exciting to see this coming to completion. You have been steady and faithful with it and it is a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen this work of art in person, I can attest to the fact that Grace's workmanship is awesome. Your stitches are so small that they are invisible!!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been very interested in watching your progress on this quilt. It had never occurred to me to make one myself, but ... you may have inspired me to put it on my 'one day ...' list!

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. megan i made a pillow first and was totally hooked, so naturally this was the obvious next choice of projects..

      Delete