Tuesday, August 5, 2014

brief nonquilty detour

a shocking detail became apparent to me yesterday....janet lennon, who is very, very slightly older than me, is now singing with her GRANDDAUGHTERS!  that's right, her granddaughters are now part of the singing lennon legacy.  while nowadays lawrence welk and his show are the butt of negative humor, the fact is that during the 1950s his show was very big.  as a young girl in the 1950s, i spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house and with my aunts, the younger two who were typical 50s gals.  there was a hi-fi there and plenty of records, many 78s of the WWII era and some pop 50s stuff like perry como, les paul and mary ford, etc.  that is where my love of music was fed.  and i totally adored the lennon sisters...so attractive, accomplished, talented, always every hair in place and pretty outfits.  my youngest aunt had this album and i must have played it a zillion times.  in the 60s and 70s i desperately tried to get a copy but failed.  now, though, mp3 is magical and it is available.  went to check on one of my fave gal groups and found out about janet and her granddaughters.  where did the time go?  how do i make it slow down?  the great thing is, when i play "christmas island", i can close my eyes and i'm right back there in 1958 playing the red  45s and singing along....

5 comments:

  1. I grew up watching the Lawrence Welk Show and I loved the Lennon Sisters! This really takes me back! Wunnerful, Wunnerful!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, my weakness is Do Wop! Coma, coma, down dooby dooby do! LOL! Nobody writes lyrics like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donny Osmond (my teen heart throb) has 3 grandchildren now. I wonder if he croons "Puppy Love" to them when he visits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can anybody say "purple people eater" three times fast? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You brought back memories. I checked online and read at Wikipedia some more info about the Lennon sisters and the tragic death of their father. My grandchildren are entranced by the Lennons. We see them some on PBS and they are still and quiet....for once.

    ReplyDelete