Friday, May 17, 2013

starting a finish

this week is a blog hop over at "celebrate hand quilting" and if you hand quilt or just like looking, hop on over and see some beautiful work.  have recently started finishing up this quilt that had only the final border left to quilt.  it is very densely quilted as befits an amish style quilt and the batt is a 80/20 cotton/wool blend.  i think our weather will remain cool enough to get it done.  when i see hand quilting, my fingers start to itch to go and quilt something.  fortunately i have enough projects basted and at the ready for whenever.  once this quilt is finished, i'll switch over to small quilts for the duration of the summer, which should be arriving any time soon. 
in addition to hand quilting, the old viking and i are working on the "baby emma" wallhanging pictured on quiltmania last fall.  and note to self, when buying background shirtings, must buy AT LEAST 1 yard, as again this week, looking for a light shirting but none large enough for the entire project.  the fabric i finally used was not the best choice but the one for which i had sufficient fabric as shopping the stash was imperative.  

14 comments:

  1. Grace, your hand quilting is stunning and amazing. I aspire - know I just have to do it more often. I wish we lived closer - could use a mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand quilting is beautiful. Seems to me I remember a collection of shirtings but I forget by whom. Will try to rattle the old brain and see if I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it would come to me - here is the link to some nice shirtings:
    http://ladyfingerssewing.com/shopping_cart/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=shirtings&_a=category.
    If the link does not work, just go to ladyfingerssewing.com and put "shirtings" in the search window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting, Grace. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am looking forward to seeing a pic of the whole quilt Grace. It's looks fabulous so far.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. love two color quilts and will be nice to see this one when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting on this amish piece is lovely. Nice work. You sound like you accomplish much. Hand quilting is so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice hand quilting with lots of details. Love it. I see you are using the small qsnap frame. I just took the large qsnap frame out of the box but having problems with the round snap ins holding the quilt in the frame. Looking forward to seeing your finish quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilting! I just started using a small q snap frame like yours. I find I can do better work if I keep one snap off... keeps it a little looser for me. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blue colours, and beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use a square q snap frame too. Your quilting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love blue, can't wait to see a full picture of this one

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilting is just beautiful.Can´t wait to see it finished.Happy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilting. I enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete