Sunday, February 10, 2013

batik backing

hoffman's "a year in the meadow"
while denise and i were shop-hopping, i found this pretty hoffman print that will be used to back the batik and plum flimsy.  i agree, it is too pretty to use as a backing but it was the end of bolt, nearly 3 yards at a whopping $3, and even with my fuzzy math, that's one dollar per yard so the price is definitely right.  i am hoping there will be some scraps leftover as it is such a pretty print.  back when i was first starting quilting, hoffman prints were the rolls royce of quilting fabrics and for me they still are.  **** all is calm and bright here after the storm with a sliver of orange on the horizon heralding the coming sunrise.  still very cold but clear is good.  **** today's task is to tidy the sewing space and get in some sewing time before the week starts again.  and i've got to hang my february wallhanging, finally!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Grace,
    I agree that is a very pretty print, and such a deal, the one that I got was almost 1 1/2 yards and I only paid $1. Worked on a wool candle mat yesterday and plan on a few "catch up" projects later today. Two posts to my blog since Thursday, I think short, frequent post will be much better than long infrequent, thanks for "nudging" me to get to back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find. And there are always scraps. My sewing room is overflowing with scraps everywhere. Crumb piecing seems to be so messy but so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful print, at the right price. I think it makes a great backing because you don't have to cut it into tiny pieces and you can always get the full effect of its beauty by just flipping the quilt over. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - that's a great description Grace: I also used to think that Hoffman fabrics were simply the best, and I used to say that there was no such thing as an ugly Hoffman. They've kinda dropped away a bit, in my view. They haven't remained at the forefront of design and, indeed, I'm not even all that aware of their fabrics when I go shopping (which isn't all that often). I imagine that there are a lot of young, 'modern' quiltmakers who haven't even heard of them.

    ReplyDelete