Saturday, June 30, 2012

batik beauties

i am not a new quilter by any means.  over the years i heard many gush over batiks and simply didn't get it.  now i can't believe i didn't pay closer attention to these awesomely gorgeous fabrics.  first, the pattern itself is inconsequential.  it is all about the color and the movement the pattern makes.  though i tend to stay away from dark greens and browns, the tropical colors and the indigos grab me.  such was the case at a maine shop the other day....it was their month-long sale. lest you gasp over yet more added stash, these are FQs or quarter yards; the blues are fat 8ths, so the total is not that alarming, simply as it was so difficult to choose and i wanted to bring home all of them (i didn't).   i have a scrappy quilt in mind using all batiks.  hard to believe they all go together but they do, they really do.  on today's agenda?  make a list of all that needs to be done before vacation arrives.  i've only a little over 3 months to do it!

3 comments:

  1. I've lived that same story with batiks. Used to smile and nod when people gushed over them, wondering in my head what the fuss was all about. Now my heart flutters a little when I see a good selection of batiks. I have to drive about 45 minutes north to the best selection in my neck of the woods, but I do it willingly when I want a batik fix. They have half a wall. But my favorite selection--a full wall of batiks (be still my heart) is 1 1/2 hours away to the south and I only get there once or twice a year.
    You got some beauties--love the indigos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a long batik phase...now I am using up the batik stash. I love the colors but not so much the quilting of it. That said...love those indigos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What u did is amazing. I am one of the batik lover. I produce a batik garments using batik motive.Come and see my website at
    www.blossombatik.com
    www.blossombatik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete