Wednesday, April 20, 2011

leaders/enders

this is my ongoing inchie leaders/enders project.  when i get 1.5" squares out of scraps, i put them aside in a little tote next to the old viking.  i sew them in rows of 16 and they are getting sewn into squares for a future scrappy project.  i've been doing this for a while now and have enough for one whole square now, so it'll be a while before any flimsy appears.  the leaders/enders allow me to get the max from my spool of thread, which i like a lot.  before L/E, a lot of thread went into the trash can but no longer.  another gem of a tip from quiltville USA!  before L/E i would use a thread bunny over and over that eventually got tossed, but this method is sooo much better and way more frugal. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

today's tasks...

not much really, but i have been watching the eaglecam quite a bit.  it is fascinating viewing and i am amazed at how fast these chicks grow.  in the past week they have begun to shed their down and grow feathers and even try their wings.  on thursday, april 21st, the banding process will begin at about 9 am, so i'll be watching then.  no, it isn't the royal wedding but darn near as interesting and certainly more educational.  if you have some time, be sure to check in.  there is a moderator posting answers to questions that are emailed with lots of info about eagle habits and lifestyle.  did you know eagles mate for life?  this pair has raised chicks in this particular location since about 2001.  did you know that by the time the feathers appear, their feet are full grown?  they now weigh about 5 pounds each with a wingspan of 3 feet.  disclaimer:  the parent eagles often bring food, dead fish or birds, so if you are squeamish about this, don't tune in to watch this engrossing live show.

Monday, April 18, 2011

pineapple progress

spent some time sunday afternoon working on this flimsy.  so far i've gotten all these blocks finished with more halfway done.  (that's sunshine filtering through blinds)  i used batiks and am happy with the look/result so far.  the best thing about batik fabrics is that they all together no matter what, and i have never seen one i didn't like either.  i originally planned for 24 squares but i've upped that to 36, which will give it a square finish and large enough to use as a bed covering.  it'll have a 1.5" finished inner border and then an outside border of something batik, not sure what at this moment.  i do have some bonus HSTs but i think they'll be saved for another project.  well, daytime plans await....

Sunday, April 17, 2011

ahhhh..

a good night's sleep in my own bed, the sealy posturepedic extra firm, thank you, which is about as good as it gets in my book.  ****  i've posted a photo of my blocks so far, the good ones, and i'm anxious to pull out the machine today to make more.  though it's tame compared to some design-wise, i had a reason for that.  i used white and avoided the sashing in order to hand quilt, using open spaces for patterns.  i wanted the batik colors to pop once it's quilted.  we'll see if that works or not.  i might also dig out those plaids i've been saving and cut some strips or squares for a new project.....